Sunday, October 25, 2009

Origami for the People


Origami for the People, originally uploaded by Origami Weekly.

Several months ago, I realized that while there were lots of traditional models to be found, most of the diagrams were copyrighted, so their use was restricted. I also noticed that a handful of traditional models got the lion's share of attention from folders and diagrammers, while some very intriguing models were only published in a few places, sometimes with low-quality diagrams...

So in response, I'm pleased to announce the Public Diagram Project. The aim is to provide a collection of 15-20 high-quality diagrams for clever and obscure traditional models, available to everyone. Each of these diagrams will be released under a Creative Commons license, so you can share, teach, and adapt any of these without breaking any copyright laws.

Here's the diagrams:
Jumping Frog

Congratulations Crane

Octagonal Tato

You'll notice that one of these diagrams has already appeared on Origami Weekly-- I found out, a week after I'd posted it, that I had actually rediscovered a traditional model; that event was part of the inspiration for this project.

5 comments:

  1. Great ! Me too, I have already begun to make some clear diagrams for traditional models months ago with the same idea in mind.

    But my origami blog is not well done and is in french :-/.

    If you want the link(s) (don't want to make publicity on one other's web page), you can send me mail at : dimitri DOT gaillot AT laposte DOT net.


    Keep up the good work ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!, thank you, this is a good idea, I have been folding origami since about seven years now, unfortunately I can't design, well maths and me,are two!!! But, I always tried to do it my way, and sometimes I've been happy with the variations I did. My blog is new, so for now I just posted some of my foldings and I posted a video of the fantastic Robert Lang. My blog is in french, but I am bilingual as you see, so thank you to leave me a message. I had the chance to see the film Between the folds recently, it is a must to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. I had been wondering how the crane was made. I was given one which I unfolded and tried to refold, but I couldn't get it back to the initial form. Now, upon looking at the diagrams, I don't feel so bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What software are you using to create your diagrams? Is it just SVG editing software, or something else entirely?

    I may well try my hand at creating diagrams for a traditional model, but I'll say that there isn't a lot of discussion on the web about the software people use to create their diagrams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. If I could diagram, I would help. This kind of thing is what actually makes the origami community stronger.

    ReplyDelete